Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Public funds to be made available for inquest into death of Jimmy Mubenga

Jimmy Mubenga, an Angolan national, died while being 'restrained' by G4S security guards on a deportation flight in October 2010. Eyewitnesses on the plane heard him complaining that he could not breathe, crying for help and shouting: "They're going to kill me."

The Crown Prosecutions Service decided in June 2012 not to bring manslaughter charges against the guards. Lord Rathbotham (former chief inspector of prisons - now a crossbench peer) has called this decision 'perverse', and demanded that public funds be made available for an inquest to properly establish what caused the death of Jimmy - a former student leader…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Diabetics licenses removed after two low blood sugars in a year. Even when asleep.

Up to one million people with diabetes could lose their driving licences because of harsh new European rules classifying them as unfit to drive.
      Experts claim the ‘unnecessarily strict’ changes will affect hundreds of thousands who have been driving for decades without problems.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2028152/Million-drivers-face-losing-licence-EU-diabetes-diktat.html#ixzz1cUnh6OeS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2028152/Million-drivers-face-losing-licence-EU-diabetes-diktat.html

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/14125

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Ofqual - to re-grade English GCSE exam papers

We should put pressure on the Government and Ofqual to re-grade English GCSE exam papers.
        It is unfair that Wales should get theirs looked at and not England and Scotland.
        It is unfair that the children that took the English GCSE in January had it marked under one set of rules, but those that took it in June had theirs changed.
        Thousands of children will have to re-sit or lose out on jobs in a world where they need all the help they can get.

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Eliminating KS2 SATs

Lots of year 6s are put under too much pressure when the time comes to their SATs. These determine their sets in their next school, and they are recorded in the school's status. These young, innocent children are put through a lot. They are too harsh, and stressful.

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • making poor record keeping in care/residential homes a criminal offence

It is the right of all peoplenwithin our society to be provided with the best possible care when they need it. This is especially true of vulnerable adults such as the elderly and disabled being cared for in nursing and residential homes.

The shocking revelation of incidents at Winterbourne has shown that such care is not always provided.

I work in safeguarding adults in a local council and have been involved in many meetings where the death of service users have been discussed. In some of these meetings, it has been disclosed that a charge of "criminal negligence" has been…

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Ban Depleted Uranium Weapons

Depleted Uranium Weapons are already band, so why not make sure our MP's do there job.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • 6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Support Lord Falconer's Lords Bill on assisted dying

I have just left an excellent public meeting at which this Bill was debated. There were various powerful arguments in favour of the Bill, including:

several powerful testimonies of personal experiences, mainly with long-suffering parents who wanted to end their life.
                  the Bill is not shortening life, it is shortening death!
                  the Bill is very narrow in its scope in order not to put people off.
                  the Bill is based on 16 years positive experience of similar legislation in Oregon
                  It is a citizen's right to choose when to die, and not parliamentarians, or medics.

Please support

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Stop racism within the police force

In todays society sterotypes often lead to racism its important we target and investigate for example black youths are 28% more likley to be stopped and searched ; less than 4% of thease searches leads to an arrest

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • 6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Falun Gong persecution in China

There appears to be an apalling abuse of Human Rights ongoing in China regarding people peacefully practising an apolitical spritual activity. I have just recieved a 'flyer' on this and am horrified that it's happening and is little publicised.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Security of tenure for residents in care homes 100,000 signatures can demand a debate in Parliament

--petition for security of tenure
                          the Southern Cross collapse has shown , once again the way residents of care homes are exposed to financial weather , both unforeseen , and only too well foreseen by speculators .
                          There is no security of tenure at present for residents of care homes.The House of Lords ruled in the case of YL v Birmingham City Council 2007 that the Private Law Rights of Care Home owners prevail over the Public Law Rights of residents ; the decision in YL v Birmingham has been partly mitigated by s145 Health and Social Care Act 2008…

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Stop Abortion!

Fetus's are alive and can feel pain in the womb! Plus those born alive after an abortion are often killed in cruel, despicable way (acid , spinal cord being cut , and if the acid fails, then left slowly to die without pain relief!!!)

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Absent parents... Make it illegal to abandon children emotionally and financially

I have had enough of absent parents avoiding their emotional and financial responsibilities. As a single parent of 10 years, my children have had very little financial support and no emotional support from their biological father.

This infuriates me and I am on a mission to 'make a change'!!

Thousands of voices are better than one!!

I am going to write to my local MP about this situation and ask what the leagal steps are to 'make a change'.
                              If your local MP receives lots of letters about the same issues, they take them to the House of Commons for…

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Petition the governement to have Russia removed from the G8

As the editorial in French newspaper 'Liberation' said "[the sentencing of Russian pop-punk band 'Pussy Riot' was] a travesty of justice and democracy. Russia is not a country of the rule of law, it has nothing to do alongside the G8 democracies."

Let us act on this dispicable act of intimidation by a government against its people

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • peeple getting in the way of selfies

WEN I TRY 2 DO A SELFIE THERZ AWAYS SUM1 GOING IN2 THE PIC I FINK WE MUST MAYKE A LAW THAT SAYZ U CANT DO THAT CUZ ITS RUDE AND RUINZ THE PICCHUR and den I get less likes
                                  so if u see sum1 doin a selfie u got to get out the way Ic thowsansd of crap selfies on facebook 4 that reason

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • 6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • The Government needs to tell the truth about the International Bill of Rights since 1948 and pass a UK Bill in full compliance with it.

The UK was a founding member of the United Nations in 1945 and the UN's Human Rights Commission drew up the Universal Declaration in December 1948, which it agreed with.

However, in Jan 1949 the then Labour Prime Minister (Clement Attlee) claimed that this Declaration was not 'legally binding' on the UK's Government. When pressed by opposition MP's, he also claimed that "we would nevertheless work towards it". Although he arrogantly also claimed that these rights were better protected in the UK, than anywhere else in the world, which was and still is a lie.

However, before the UDHR was…

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Illegalise the use of mobile phone tracking technology by private businesses in public spaces.

I recently read an article in which the Shopping Centre in the town where I live would start tracking the mobile signals of the people inside it, without consent of those shopping there. And the only opt out of this would be for the person to turn off/not take there mobile phones. I, by coincidence, went shopping at the same centre the day after reading this article and I was eagle-eyed enough to spot a warning sign telling people that this technology was being used, and on the sign I found, I was shocked about the size of it and…

6 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • 6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base