Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Legal Aid

The government has announced that it is to restrict the availability of legal aid for certain kinds of case.

This not only represents the latest attack on the poor by a Government of millionaires but also prejudices the Article 6 rights of those of limited means to achieve a fair hearing.

Campaign now to oppose the cuts in Legal Aid

6,582 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1507 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support EFVI.EU - Fight against draconian legislation that only benefits the tobacco and pharmaceutical industries.

We have a European citizens initiative www.efvi.eu in place so we can get a seat at the table to negotiate a fairer deal on the use of e-cigarettes, directives put in place on the 26th of February have effectively banned all ecig products on the market today with each member state having to put these policies in force by 2016, this directive will only put public health at risk and deny smokers the use of a scientifically proven safer alternative. The EU regulations are so disproportionate that it will only be the large multinational tobacco and pharmaceutical companies that will…

2,119 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        110 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 1,918 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          425 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Save Mrs S and Her Two Children

Sanctuary for Mrs S and family

Home Office ref: S1391610/1

Mrs S and two of her children arrived in the UK in November 2007 after suffering 15 years of violence in Egypt. Her youngest daughter remained behind and was helped by the Home Office to be reunited with the family safely in the UK. Despite this her case has now been refused and all rights of appeal have been exhausted. The whole family is under serious threat of honour-based violence and possibly even death if deported back to Egypt.

Mrs S has been seeking sanctuary from an abusive and cruel…

1,555 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            29 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Free Naked Rambler Stephen Gough now- 10 yrs in prison for refusing to put clothes on is a travesty

A campaign to free this man who has been held in prison, in solitary confinement, almost continuously since 2006. The Police arrest for "Breach of Peace"- he is taken to Court and he states it is his right to be nude (there is no law that states you cannot be nude)- the Court say he is in contempt of Court and sentence him to maximum penalty. He is released, he comes out naked and the police wait outside to arrest him, he goes back to Court, who find him in contempt etc etc....This madness needs to be stopped. At £40,000…

1,384 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              308 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Media Bias

I would like a campaign on media bias due to the misrepresentation of the Scottish Government.
              The BBC and all the Newspapers are reporting lies about the Scottish Government.
              They are also, not reporting serious fraud and expence fiddling in the Labour party. They are trying to guarantee that Scotland will not be allowed a vote on independence. The BBC allowed the Scottish Government to be abused on a radio programme, where Baroness Deech said that the little pretendy Parliament can run off and be independent as we English are fed up supporting the benefit scroungers in Scotland.
              If you…

1,283 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                558 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone. We have seen this campaign idea growing on the suggestions page, and we’re thinking about what the next steps should be at the moment. Please do keep on sharing any of your ideas or comments below.

• Funding for bio-medical research into M.E. and not the psychiatric lobby or big pharma.

The definition of M.E. as a neurological illness as classified by the World Health Organisation is widely acknowledged. However, why is the funding in the UK given to the psychiatric lobby and NOT into clinical or bio-medical research? Is it because this area is monopolised by those with particular vested ?interests

1,199 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  272 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Health Freedom

A series of laws are being passed through the EU which severely limit our health freedoms, both freedom of choice and freedom of speech.

By next year, it will be illegal to sell the vast majority of seeds, supplements, and herbs that are currently on the market. It will also be illegal to talk about the potential benefits of any but a tiny percentage of health foods.

Herbs were outlawed in 2011; there has been a grace period which is about to be withdrawn in Dec 2012. There is a statutory register but there are only around 100 herbs that…

989 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    41 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Safety: http://wifiinschools.org.uk/resources/wireless+technologies+and+young+people+Jan2011.pdf

The compulsory use of wireless technologies in UK schools is removing parental choice and putting the health of children and young people at risk. Germany and Israel recommend wired internet access in schools because of concerns about adverse health effects. The International Commission for Electromagnetic Safety and Scientific Panel on Electromagnetic Health Risks also strongly recommend that young people limit their use of wireless technologies. Please vote for safe electromagnetic environments in schools.

968 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      152 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Stopping Westminster Council banning rough sleeping and the distribution of free food in Victoria

Westminster Council are planning to bring in a byelaw which will mean anyone 'lying or sleeping' on the floor, 'depositing... bedding' or giving out food for free in the Victoria area will be fined. The consultation period will last until the 25th of March. See http://www.housingjustice.org.uk/site/publications/hj/Press%20releases/Press%20release%2025%2002.pdf We can stop them bringing this in with enough pressure!

743 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        157 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Stop EU legislation wiping out ancient and effective traditional herbal medicinal cultures

It's serious and it's imminent. After April 2011 lots of herbs from traditional cultures (Chinese medicine, Ayurveda) will disappear unless we campaign hard. We have to stop EU legislation steam-rollering traditional medicinal cultures in Europe.

647 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          232 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Head Teachers - Safeguard the health and development of children in schools

Dear Head Teachers, please take action to safeguard the health and development of pupils in your school by banning the use of mobile/smart phones on school property and using only wired communications for all IT equipment and utility meters. Wi-Fi/2.4GHz signals have been shown in scientific studies to cause biological damage, alter brain activity, increase the proliferation of cancer cells and have a negative effect on fertility. Schools have a legal duty to prevent any damage to the health and development of children. Responses to the government's statements on Wi-Fi safety can be found here: http://wifiinschools.org.uk/resources/SSITA+response+January+2014.pdf.
                          Calls for you…

564 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            21 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Stop the internal trafficking of young people in the UK.

This is one of the real scandals of sex trafficking that is always ignored. British people are aware and outraged by the trafficking of children internationally, but we also need to address the issue of the internal sex trafficking of vulnerable young people within the UK. Unlike the external trafficking of people across international borders, internal trafficking is a hidden crime. Internal trafficking is a growing, but ignored or misunderstood crime in the UK and beyond. Few of us realise that some of the most vulnerable members of our own communities are being sexually exploited and trafficked from one city…

491 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              46 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Save local legal support for victims of discrimination

Local support over the last few years has been available to victims of discrimination. This has been resourced through a grants programme run by the Equality and Human Rights Commission. The Government Equality Office now wish to scrap the resources to these local organisations and put in place a national telephone advice service. This will mean that victims of discrimination who can today have face to face advise from an advisor who is up to date with their case will in the future have to get advice as and when it is available from a variety of different call handlers.…

444 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                116 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Health and safety at work.

The Coalition is reviewing Health and Safety legislation.
                                Maybe we should have a review of our own !
                                Often it seems as if the big multinationals are convicted repeatedly of heath and safety violations, sometimes in respect of fatal incidents, but the courts have little impact ( see www.hazards.org/corus ). Maybe 38 Degrees should campaign to highlight this very serious issue, which I believe most people are unaware of.

385 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  202 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Inclusive Education & stopping Govt plans to increase the segregation of disabled young people

evidence shows that inclusive education benefits everyone. the coalition Govt is peddling the myth that there is a bias in favour of including disabled children and young people - NOT TRUE!
                                  Inclusion benefits not only disabled learners but ALL learners

364 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    154 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Get pornographic magazines age restricted and out of sight from children

Lads mags or not age restricted and are often in full veiw of children in newsagents and supermarkets. There are no effective laws on this. www.thefrontpagecampaign.org.uk are working to get this changed. Please support this campaign and sign the petition. Thank you

360 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      30 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 335 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        133 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Western Sahara: the need for UN human rights monitoring

On 30th April the UN will vote on whether to extend the mandate of the UN Peace Keeping force in Western Sahara to include human rights monitoring. Minurso, the UN mission for Western Sahara, has the dubious distinction of being the only contemporary peacekeeping mission without a mandate to monitor human rights and human rights defenders in the disputed territory are regular victims of arbitrary arrest, sexual violence, torture and "disappearance". Morocco opposes human rights monitoring and at the UN last year France was the key country to block its implementation.

Guaranteeing the human rights in the territory is seen…

319 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          94 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Say NO to ACTA in the UK & EU

ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) could be used to control online content, affordable medicines and even food... We can ignore this undemocratic, corporate-led stripping of our basic rights, of course, because its always somebody else's problem. But if this is accepted into EU law, it'll be your problem too.!

290 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            20 comments  ·  Human rights  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base