Campaign suggestions

Welcome!

What is this part of the website for?
- 38 Degrees members decide together what we campaign on. One way members can suggest campaigns is through this part of the website.
- This part of the website also helps determine how popular campaigns are through the voting system.
- You can vote on campaigns other 38 Degrees members suggest here You have up to 10 votes you can use.

How can I suggest a campaign?
- If you’ve got an idea for what 38 Degrees should campaign on please share it here.
-By adding your campaign idea here you’ll give other 38 Degrees members the opportunity to comment, suggest improvements and vote on your idea.
- The most popular suggestions made here will be put to 38 Degrees members to discuss and vote on in other ways – e.g. on our facebook, twitter and blog, and through email polls.
- Get involved and have your say – your campaign might be the next to start an avalanche!

How do I use my vote?
- Every member has up to 10 votes, which you are free to use how ever you want.
- If you really keen on a particular campaign, you can use more than one vote. – We will email you when when your ideas are completed or deleted as your votes will return to you.
- You can also change your votes by clicking on them.
- You’ll get a digested email of any activity on your ideas, comments, status changes and admin responses.

What happens to my campaign suggestions and votes?
- 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what members want to do. Uservoice one of a number of ways in which 38 Degrees members can say what they one to the 38 Degrees to work on.
- If an idea is really popular on this Uservoice part of the website 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys.
- Please note that an idea being popular on this part of the website does not guarantee that it will become a 38 Degrees campaign. This is because firstly this area of the site is not visted by all 38 Degrees members and secondly because it is possible for non-members to vote. This can potentially skew the results. If in a member survey the wider 38 Degrees membership says other issues are more important, those issues will take priority.
- If 38 Degrees members vote that an idea should be a priority in our main member survey as well as on this part of the web site, the 38 Degrees office team will start work to turn it into a campaign. You can see the results of these main member surveys here: http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/tag/poll/

Can I ask others to boost the ranking of my issue?
- It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it.
- Please don’t do this — this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.

Are there any rules?
- It’s really important that the 38 Degrees website is a place where we can all have a healthy debate – which is why we don’t moderate comments or campaign suggestions before they are published. However, to ensure our site stays family friendly we have a few rules that you can read here:
http://38degrees.org.uk/pages/comments-policy

I suggest a campaign about ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Campaign to stop a waste incinerator being built in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.

Norfolk County Council have voted to build a waste incinerator in Kings Lynn despite a referendum in which 93% (65,000) voters said NO to the proposal, Kings Lynn Borough Council; MP, Henry Bellingham and local residents are against this for economic, environmental and health reasons. The people of West Norfolk want our voices heard and listened to in what is supposed to be a democratic country. http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/incinerator_debate_latest_norfolk_county_council_awards_contract_1_821509

4,581 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4620 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Organise a huge march against the Health & Social Care Bill

The only thing keeping the bill on track is Cameron's support. The Tories are terrified that this will become their Poll Tax. Let's make it that. If enough people come out on the streets, they will drop the bill like a hot coal. This march could be organised with the help of other organisations.

4,506 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        405 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Prevent the closure of public libraries

Libraries offer computer access to the poor, give access to books to those unable to afford them, and provide education for all, regardless of social status.

They are inclusive of all, not just the 'white middle class'. They provide ways to learn about other cultures as well as our own, promoting understanding of foreign ways of life. They enable people to learn about subjects they may not have had the oppurtunity to study in the past. They provide a quiet place to study and read. They allow people to see the world in new ways.

Knowledge is power!

1,988 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          258 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • The use of unqualified staff as cover "teachers" in schools is totally unacceptable.

The use of unqualified staff as cover "teachers" in schools is totally unacceptable. Schools should only employ fully qualified and registered teachers for all lessons in all classes for all pupils

1,616 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            119 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Keep a broad national curriculum for all children inclusive of the arts

There is a deadline of 14th April for us to make our views known to government about which subjects should remain part of the national curriculum. Many arts subjects are at risk. For example, no conservative MPs thought that music should remain in the national curriculum and only 1 in ten labour MPs thought it should remain. The arts should not be a luxurious add-on. They should be part of every child's basic entitlement. Music, for example, can be academically rigorous, and is also a feature of every known human culture. It has been part of the core curriculum for…

1,212 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              349 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Privatisation of the police

No to the privatisation of the Police!

West Midlands and Surrey Police Force have recently announced that they are to put £1.5 billion of Police Force responsibilities out for grabs to the private sector. This is likely to include frontline services such as:

 bringing offenders to justice
               investigating crimes
               detaining suspects
               protecting vulnerable individuals
               supporting victims and witnesses
               managing road safety.

For the full list look here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/interactive/2012/mar/02/contract-note-bidders-police-services?fb=native

The private sector must not be allowed to reep profits from such vital public services. Institutions that are there to protect the safety of the public…

1,009 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                53 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • ESOL funding

Funding for English language lessons is about to be slashed - this will affect tens of thousands of learners and their families amking integration and work impossible for many.

781 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  45 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Prisons are not for Profit

We petition the UK Government to reconsider the privatisation of public sector prisons and withdraw from the contract with G4S to operate HMP Birmingham, which will be the first public sector prison to be privatised. Staff at HMP Birmingham went through a 2 year bidding process, always believing that the prison would remain public.

There is no evidence to prove that private is better then public, In fact, a private prison costs on average £1000 more per prisoner place per year then it costs in the public sector, with no rehabilitation improvement.

Should a private company be allowed to gain…

715 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    125 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • stop Clegg removing the free bus pass for pensioners

Nick clegg wants to means test pensioners bus pass which allows them free transport on local buses anywhere in England

576 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      123 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Have Read-ins at town halls and civic centres in protest against library closures. Can dress up

Go to local town halls with a library book and sit down and read and refuse to leave at closing time. Could dress as faourite characters from literature.

564 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        61 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Saving The Deanes School in Benfleet Essex.

Essex County Council started consultations on May 23rd 2013 to close a secondary school in Thundersley Essex rated as a "Good school with outstanding features" by OFSTED. This is a constructive closure by Councillor Gooding The Cabinet Member of Education and Lifelong Learning. His consultation is flawed and has been recommended by his own Scrutiny Commitee that "there is insufficient evidence" to close the school. Yet he ignores his own council and presses ahead with the closure. Rebecca Harris MP is fully opposed to the closure as is the local Castle Point Borough Councillors and the neighbouring Southend Unity Council…

562 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          43 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • 546 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            239 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Save Careers and Connexions Services

Unemployment amongst 16 to 25 year olds in the UK has reached record levels with more than a million young people struggling to find work; yet, following cuts to the Connexions service, thousands of young people across the UK now have either very limited or no access to face-to-face career guidance, a situation caused directly by the Government's decision to place the statutory duty to ensure impartial careers guidance on schools, who have been given no additional funds to deliver such important services; and calls on the Government to reverse its policy and instead to provide sufficient funding to the…

508 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              112 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Stopping the forced conversion of schools to privately sponsored academies.

Much like the NHS, many of those working in theeducation system, parents and experts are against the enforced conversion of state schools to Academies. Yet again this is an exampl eof the government cutting an areas budget and then privatising when standards drop because of the lack of funding. This is undemocratic, with little evidence and as with the NHS removes the reponsibility of education towards private companies and with the right campaign we could stop it.

407 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                18 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Hands off! Big Brother wants your medical history. Keep patient confidentiality intact. VOTE!

Under new proposals, the government will force GP surgeries to hand over YOUR medical records to a central NHS database. Privacy campaigners say "this is the biggest data grab in NHS history".

Ross Anderson, professor of security engineering at Cambridge University reported ‘Under these proposals, medical confidentiality is, in effect, dead and there is currently nobody standing in the way.’ Suggestions of third parties being given access to this data make the move even more sinister. There is even talk of selling your private medical data to third parties. Imagine insurance companies and finance companies even your employer, having full…

398 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  12 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 40 Days To Block Royal Assent To The Health Bill

My name is John Langley, and the original driver behind the campaign to petition the Monarch to NOT grant Royal Assent of the Health Bill.

Since starting this campaign on Twitter at 6am yesterday (March 8th 2012) I have so far engaged the support of Lord Toby Harris to be the conduit for rallying the support of his House of Lords colleagues in petitioning the Queen.

It isn't as simple as communicating with Her Majesty direct, as it requires the 'Barons' to petition on our behalf.

The right to petition the Monarch is embedded in Article 61 of the Magna…

382 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    43 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Public Indifference to the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton

Today (31st January 2011), The Sun ran the front page headline 'Anarchists Target Wills and Kate' as part of a 'Sun Investigation' into actions planned by certain anarchist groups to disrupt the royal wedding.

This petition/campaign is not aimed at supporting the anarchists in their actions to do this, but to open the question to the great British public of 'Do We Really Care?' - There are already a few campaigns in regards to the cost of the wedding to the British taxpayer etc., but other than an extra day or so off from work, does the royal wedding really…

354 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      23 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Against the US-EU free trade agreement which threatens all European public services as well as many regulations (Food, GMO, fracking, etc.)

The US-EU free trade agreement (TTIP : Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) is extremely important because it will make lots of struggles completely pointless, especially for the NHS but also against fracking.
                                      The most proeminent points of the TIPP are:
                                      - elimination of all trade tariffs and the reduction of all tariff barriers
                                      - more closely tied cooperation among the EU and US regulatory bodies protection
                                      - restriction of subsidies to state-owned enterprises (e.g: NHS, Education, Justice etc.)

Prioritising ‘regulatory harmonisation’ means bringing together the regulatory frameworks of the EU and the US, making them much more alike. Many areas…

330 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        16 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • re-diverting public funds from building unnecessary high-speed rail links between London & the North

Philip Hammond recently announced a multi-billion pound investment to install high-speed rail services between London and Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and other cities in the north. The overall effect would be reducing journey time by a only a matter of a few minutes. I believe the government needs to divert their attention to more pressing matters in green and energy-efficient transport, rather than trying to keep up with the Jones'es by building unnecessary rail systems on already adequate services.

313 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          65 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Save The London Fire Brigade Control.

Save The London Fire Brigade Control

294 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            88 comments  ·  Public services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base