What should we campaign on together in the coming months?

Expose the scandal of ATOS assessment that force disabled people into the work force when they are not fit for work.

Each week disabled people are being assessed by ATOS (a French firm commissioned by the coalition, and being paid millions). The result of these toxic assessments is that our disabled community is being labelled, and discriminated against, and forced to work when they are not fit to do so. This is morally abhorrent and scandalous, and should not be tolerated. People are dying as a result of these toxic assessments and it should be tackled as a matter of urgency.

10,133 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

123 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • david dunndavid dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Atos is evil and the dwp are scum 10,500 people have died ,no one cares ,what a wicked country we stay in.did we not fight the nazies for doing what this torie scum are doing to there own people
        gods whatching.

• wiliamsonwiliamson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There has been so much propaganda in the press about the numbers of assessed people being able to work. but the argument is dishonest. Yes, you might be bed-bound and mentally incapacitated before you would be incapable of any work, but the fact is with high unemployment, a labour glut, there is no reason in the world for any employer to employ anyone that he cant get maximum work out of. You may be capable of work, but that is not identical to there being employers willing to employ you. (For example, my late husband who died of cancer, after his first cancer treatment was desperate to stay in work, to prove he had beaten cancer. He was unbelievably fortunate in having an employer who let him keep his job, let him work part time, and when he flaked out at work, on the way to work, or couldnt get to work because he was too ill, still kept his job open for him. Nine out of ten employers are not so tolerant.

Our govt (any of them) make me sick. there isnt even work for the able bodied yet they are harassing the ill to go and get a job when it is cloud cuckoo land thinking that anyone would employ them.

Reminds me of fascism the way we are going. dump the old, dump the handicapped, dump the ill, praise and subsidise large families to the hilt - and why ? Keep up the supply of useful slaves.

• cliffordclifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

even if you win appeal they will call you back in within a month and zero you again so it all starts again it is costing the country millions in unnecessary appeals why the government condones this false economy system i don't know maybe they just like beating down on the defenceless???

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 4 years of fighting to get sickness (Finally winning), I was due another medical (2 weeks later) I had saved a huge folder of information, which was ignored, ATOS purposely fails people, some of their interviewers are notorious for purposely failing people on grounds, and their scores are so random (even though the tests are all meant to be the same) it HAS to be a scam

its about domination and control of the working class old sick injured and disabled the media hate drummed up by the government to turn people against each other is nothing less than encitement (we would be in court if we tried such tactics) even when the law states they are wrong they bend twist and manipulate to continue there wrong doings this is not democracy pretty soon you will not be able to speak out against the state they are turning back the clock to a time when you doff your cap for a few scraps off the squire and the british public are falling for it no wonder they have no respect for anybody

• a British citizen - until disabled ppl become non-citizensa British citizen - until disabled ppl become non-citizens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Atos are doing the assessment but govt write the rules & those who make the final decisions are employed by DWP. If Atos weren't being paid to do the assessment (it's not really a medical, even govt say it's not supposed to reflect the "real-world" of work), someone else would do it; the problem is the design of the assessment.
        There are many changes happening at once - to benefits, to council funding, to legal aid, to carers' rights, to housing, to NHS - taken as a whole the impact on disabled people and those with long-term illness is extremely alarming.
        Many are being denied care & support they need (unless they are rich enough to pay for it of course). Decent people should speak out, write to MPs & peers before more people are left with no money, no care, no access to advice - it is already happening to some.

for some reason the team are staying away from this campaign always have done and why has voting been closed votes went missing last year on same topic i think they owe us an explanation
        WELL TEAM WILL YOU EXPLAIN TO US WHY VOTING HAS CLOSED AND WHY YOUR KEEPING AWAY FROM THIS SUBJECT YET AGAIN after all you are quick enough to ask for support when it suits you or are we on selective people power

• BUSY BEEBUSY BEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder why the 38 Degrees team won't email all members with the Atos petition. They have emailed me with lots of petitions including forest sell off, NHS, Murdoch and a petition about an individual soldier which nobody voted to make the primary campaign issue.

the whole system is designed to ensure failure and if you have legitimate medical evidence it will be ignored or lost so make sure to only send copies
        CAN THE TEAM TELL ME WHY VOTING HAS CLOSED ON THIS ISSUE SURELY THE MEMBERS MAKE THAT DECISION

• John TrevorrowJohn Trevorrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone who is disabled and have had the unfortunate pleasure of going to an Atos assessment, not once was my condition considered or taken into account.

Atos left me distressed and in tears, they destroyed me instead of helping me.

• 195557195557 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there all in it together and it will get worse until we get rid of this dictatorship and restore proper democracy whats next if you can open your eye's your fit for work its a shame you can;t make them disabled and in pain for 1 day they would be whining by dinner time

• John LezemoreJohn Lezemore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole process is a total disgrace I am ashamed to live in the UK and witness what is happening to sick and disabled people, this coalition should hang there head in shame. Is there no one in this so called coalition going to stand up to this monster Iian Duncan Smith, who should be put on trial, this is democide, check this on wikipedia.

i find it quite strange that 38degree's are more interested in drumming up support for forests and badgers than protecting the weak (sick and disabled) or is it because they to think we are scroungers??? so i am trying something myself
        http://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/stop_medical_records_being_put_on_national_data_base_in_uk/?day2share so if anyone would like to help me that would be good i have done this so it does not conflict with our campaigns here

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree more. ATOS is an absolute scandal which has no place in a civilised democratic society. I would even go so far as to say that people involved at the top level in ATOS are guilty of causing people to die. In other words they are guilty of murder. They should be sued and put on trial.

and yet another big brother move by the government putting your medical records on national data base under the guise of improving the nhs tell the truth its a direct link for unknown people(atos and dwp) to look at your personal details and is a direct contradiction of doctor patient confidentiality and yet another invasion of privacy and will be used to further attack the disabled this will allow them to bend and twist your medical history to there advantage

there are to many people with similar stories of lies and deceit at the hands of atos and the dwp for it not to be true come on 38degree's we all sign when you ask us to this has been happening for a few years now give us the support we give you back this campaign many of us are injured workers baring the brunt of this treatment

• .uk.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my wife was called to one of thier so called medicals, i phoned to ask for a home visit as she had
        on her last 2 medicals.I was told by the first person i spoke to i was told she had to go they dont do home visits, when i told her about her last 2 she hung up! Immediately i phoned back and was very annoyed at being treated that way and asked to make a complaint, he at first told me there was no system for complaint, I told him i might be disabled but im not stupid,every company must have a complaints procedure and that he had just added to my complaint.He then tried to tell me that they had problems with thier phones i told him i didnt believe him and insisted that i wanted to make a complaint and if he couldnt help i wanted to speak to someone who could, suddenly he remembered this wee form thjngy he could send out,amazing! I then asked why i couldnt book a home visit, i was told any requests for a home visit must be made by her Dr and that she had to fax it to a number which he gave me, it was a glasgow number cos thats where we are but i asked him are you in glasgow and could he put me through? he replied that he was in a call centre in wales only handled bookings and had no access to medical files,and were not health professionals, i thanked him and hung up.
        I then phoned my health centre and made an app to see her Dr,it was a couple of days later and when i told her why i we were there and what we required, she frieked out "if i have to do this for you,i have to do it for everyone setting precedents and so on and stormed out of her room to the office. After a few minuets she composed her self and came back in, she told us that she would look into it and let us know.As we left the surgery i said to my wife somehow i ont think shes gonna help and we booked an appointment to go see an advisor fm the Maggies centre, it was the next day. As we hadn't heard back from the surgery we phoned them before we left for the Maggies and this is what we were told, the Drs have a duty to protect thier patiets rights to privacy and annonimity and could be breaking the law and struck off for not doing so, they went on to say that there was proper procedures in place for the transfer of information, and that any such request must be done using appropreate methods of communication of which faxing was not one. well there you go, what were we meant to do! fortunately we had the Maggies.
        I wrote that complaint to ATOS the form came out a week later, I asked why we were treated the way we were ? we are not all wasters, we phoned for advice we got abuse and lying and the information they gave out was asking my Dr to break her legal oath.Everybody has the right to privacy and annonimity and we should not have to give them up to every non medical call centre staff in order to book an appointment!!
        this all happened around the 7th nov 2012 I posted my complaint about a week later, I still have had no reply.my message to all is Stand Up to theese people dont let them trample on your basic rights!!!!
        Best wishes to all Tom Wilson

• BUSY BEEBUSY BEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of disabled people are not happy with the way that 38 Degrees has managed the Atos campaign. Here are a few examples of the comments to the Guardian article Atos comes under attack in emotional Commons debate at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/17/atos-attack-emotional-commons-debate?commentpage=2
        I totally agree with one of them who states: “38degrees should email members, as they do for other petitions, & ask people to sign.”

Chomskyfan
        I'm surprised 38 Degrees haven't started a campaign against this barbarism started by Nu Labour and carried on with sickening relish by this ConDem shower.
        Bill Grau
        me too, I wrote to them, and sent them exchanges I had with my local MP, Sarah Teather...I will write again to the MP and send a copy to 38degrees and Ed Milliband...(I am a Labour member, who is unhappy with the way the Labour Party Leadership, is tackling this, they should apologise and distance themselves from what was done as New Labour on this...)
        ArecBalrin
        Anything 38 Degrees does now is too little too late. I gave up on them over two years ago when they rigged their poll to make sure a fight against the then recently announced government proposals for DLA was not going to happen. They cared more about forests. DLA was top and they didn't like it, so changed the parameters of who could vote at a time when the selling off of public forests was in the news meaning of course the influx of weekend warriors voted to draw attention to an issue that was already getting more than enough attention, whilst more complex but dangerous issues like DLA were crushed. They're a fake grassroots organisation that's less about progressive causes and more about manipulating public and media perception to support the Labour party.
        maple5
        They do have various campaigns on benefits but they keep hiding them away. They have certainly not covered themselves in glory by the way they messed about with the DLA votes, "accidently" losing 5,000 of them when mergin two similar petitions (their excuse anyway). A petition to end the Atos assessments has 9,640 votes. Last time I looked that placed it fourth in most voted on, but you have to keep hunting to find it.
        Bonica
        38degrees should email members, as they do for other petitions, & ask people to sign.
        I've signed it already but as peoples lives are at stake 38 degrees should email members on that basis alone IMO.
        able to count to two!
        mrsdoom
        38 degrees do have a campaign. I can't manage to post the link, but if you look on their website under campaigns you will find it. They have more than 30,000 signatures already.

• Nabil HassaniNabil Hassani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why aren't we campaigning for this? This is a matter of public interest in view of the many deaths of claimants...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base